A Guitar Parts Retailer Selling Interfaces?
The Apogee JAM, oddly, is an important part of BTN Music’s history. (A guitar parts company selling interfaces?) I started stocking the JAM not long after I finished selling second hand drum kits. It was at a time when the business was transitioning to selling guitar hardware and so I thought it an opportunity to try some other things.
I had available both the JAM and MiC 96k for some time. Not a completely random product to sell, I had used the JAM previously myself. They are seriously impressive bits of kit and, at the time that I was selling them, were very popular. Not cheap but then I’m not one to stock cheap gear for the sake of a sale. It was a bit of fun, and they were cool to have, but eventually I stopped stocking them. They stuck out massively; completely unrelated to anything else I had available. (I just can’t imagine a customer would come to us for a brand new guitar bridge and also pop a £100+ interface into their basket too)
The NEW Apogee JAM+
But I’ve just seen that Apogee have added a new line to the JAM series – the JAM+. I’m not sure when they released this version (no news articles that I can find and the ever reliable Sound on Sound haven’t released a review yet) but it looks to be very recent. And at first I wasn’t entirely sure what else Apogee could possibly offer with the JAM+.
Well, they’ve definitely improved on the JAM 96k – a new headphone output, improved latency (it wasn’t bad to begin with), dual clean & overdrive signals. The thing is just awesome!
Here’s a list of their highlights from the Apogee website:
- Apogee’s PureDIGITAL connection for pristine sound quality
- Works with guitar, bass, keyboards, synths, or any acoustic instrument with pick-up
- Dual mode option for Clean or Overdrive signal
- Drive mode makes virtual amps and effects sound more realistic
- Stereo output connects to headphones or powered speakers
- Blend mode minimizes delay in headphones while recording
- No configuration, just plug in and play
- 24-bit/96kHz high resolution audio
- Rugged metal body with soft touch base
- Works with iOS, Mac and Windows PC
- Includes Lightning, USB and USB Type-C cables
- Includes BIAS FX Jam software with premium amplifiers and pedal effects
- Built in the U.S.A. using domestic and foreign parts
It’s probably not something I will ever end up selling again. Guitar & bass hardware is what I do and it’s what I enjoy the most. Regardless, I will always recommend products that I think are great even if I don’t stock them. The Apogee JAM is one of them!